Baked Eggs in a Nest of Spaghetti Squash is another great breakfast item to expand your keto morning options.
Every once in a while, I time my morning appearance in the kitchen at the perfect time to catch my wife’s latest low-carb creation. My wife Lisa is the Queen of Breakfast at our house and this eye-awakening dish was no exception. She did not tell me what was in these delicious little ramekins and it took several guesses to figure it out.
The magic ingredient – Spaghetti Squash, which baked into a bread-like texture making this breakfast something familiar and comforting yet lighter than expected.
I have only begun to experiment with all the possibilities as this dish will work with several variations. Crisp, thick-cut bacon can easily be swapped out for ham or sausage and other veggies can be added to agree with anyones pallet. It takes a little a time to pull this breakfast off, but the preparation is pretty simple, and as long as you keep a small spaghetti squash on hand, this may become a new favorite at your house as it has at mine.
My older daughter, who also eats low-carb, raved about her breakfast this morning and asked if I could make it again tonight! This is so good you are gonna want to eat it with a spoon!
- 2 cups spaghetti squash - cooked, shredded
- 1 small onion - chopped
- 4 slices of bacon - thick cut, crisp, rough chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 fresh jalepeno pepper, fine chopped (vary amount to taste)
- 1.5 tbsp almond flour
- 1 egg white
- 8 large eggs
- salt and pepper - fresh ground - 1tsp of each
- 1/2 tbsp melted butter
- Cook the spaghetti squash - Cut the squash in half, remove the seeds, then olive oil, salt and pepper the flesh, microwave in a pierced plastic bag for 11 minutes.
- In a pan on medium heat, saute the onions and jalepenos until translucent - 5-7 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the shredded spaghetti squash, almond flour, egg white and the sauteed onions and jalepenos and crisp, chopped bacon. Mix in salt and pepper.
- Grease 4 small ceramic ramekins with melted butter. Place on a cookie tray
- Add mixture to each ramekin making a nest.
- Bake ramekins at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Crack 2 eggs into each ramekin. Top with salt an pepper.
- Finish in the oven for 8 minutes until whites are firm and egg yolks are still a little runny.
- Serve with care as the ramekins are very hot. Serve with a spoon.
- Optional - add a 1/2 cup of chopped mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, peppers or other veggie you happen to love.
- If you are gonna use ham or sausage, be sure to crisp them up a bit before adding to the mixture.