A Magical Cauliflower Mash
Use a Magic Wand to make the perfect Cauliflower Mash
There are a lot of great cauliflower mash or puree recipes out there but my version is worth serious consideration. I borrowed some of this technique from my old mashed potato days. I have to say – I don’t miss them at all. This new standby goes well with so many great mains and is the perfect sub for that high-carb mashed bomb of old.
I’ve made these for company and converted many a guest that previously swore, “they did not like cauliflower”!
Try some smoked or flavored salts to shift the taste to your liking. In the summer I add fresh chives from the side of my house. Get creative and there is no end to what this side can be paired with.
- 4 cups of cauliflower - 1 head
- 16 oz. chicken stock
- 3/4 cup leek - chopped
- 3 tbs butter - Kerrygold or some other equivalent
- 1 tbs good extra virgin olive oil - for drizzle
- 1/8 cup of half n half
- fresh ground salt and pepper
- Cut cauliflower into same size pieces - medium florets
- In a large pot add cauliflower and chicken stock and then add water to cover cauliflower.
- Cover and cook on med until fork tender - about 25 minutes
- While cauliflower is cooking in a small sauce pan add chopped leeks, butter and salt and pepper, then simmer on low about 10 min.
- Add half n half and turn off heat.
- Drain cauliflower well then add butter and leek mixture to the larger pot with cauliflower.
- With an immersion blender (magic wand) - puree until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover until ready to plate.
- Drizzle olive oil over top.
- Chopped onions can be used in place of leeks.
- Light cream can be used in place of half n half.
- Alternatively, a bullet blender could work but be sure not to over puree.