Seared Scallops with Orange-Lime Vinaigrette Salad
This perfect, pan seared scallops with an orange-lime vinaigrette salad keeps me keto on busy days.
Every once in a while I find fresh, dry sea scallops (slightly pink) that look too good to pass up. I don’t bother with previously frozen or wet scallops as they have been treated to extend their shelf life and are not nearly the same.
This is a great satisfying, simple, and light dinner salad and if you are a scallop fan, it will become a new favorite. It’s important to keep scallops simple so they can shine on your taste buds and this recipe does that and so much more.
This recipe is for 2 and is an easy and great romantic dinner option with room for a low-carb dessert. Dark chocolate covered strawberries anyone?
- 1 pound large sea scallops, tendons removed - around 12
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1.5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 oz. fresh mesclune greens - divided.
- 1/2 Avocado - cubed.
- 1 sliced, grilled portobello mushroom - optional
- Place scallops on rimmed baking sheet lined with clean dish towel. Place second clean dish towel on top of scallops and press gently on towel to blot liquid. Let scallops sit at room temperature for 10 minutes while towels absorb moisture.
- Sprinkle scallops on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in 12‑inch nonstick skillet over high heat until just smoking.
- Add scallops in single layer, flat side down, and cook, without moving, until well browned, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to skillet. Using tongs, flip scallops and continue to cook, using large spoon to baste scallops with melted butter (tilt skillet so butter runs to 1 side) until sides of scallops are firm and centers are opaque, 30 to 90 seconds longer (remove smaller scallops as they finish cooking).
- Combine orange juice, lime juice, shallot, cilantro, and pepper flakes in medium bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Season with salt to taste.
- Plate scallops with mesculin salad and drizzle vinaigrette.
- Best to make the Orange-Lime Vinaigrette and prepare the salad before starting the scallops.