Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
Sometimes you gotta just… Stop, Drop… and Egg Roll In a Bowl!
I love asian restaurants and can now easily navigate away from the carbs… Sashimi anyone? Still, when I find myself at one, there are some things that I really miss like egg rolls, spring rolls, summer rolls, etc. Wish I had realized sooner how easy it is to make this delicious low-carb egg roll in bowl recipe.
There are a ton of egg roll in bowl recipes online today, so to save you some time, I set out to create a version that just might become a weekly craving for your families low-carb lifestyle.
When I was just 9 years old, I ordered one of those hand-hammered woks from China from a famous TV commercial you older folks might remember.
Apparently I was into stir-frying at a young age. Luckily, I still have that very same wok today as it has proven to be an essential kitchen tool my whole family uses often.
If my 9 year old self only knew the longevity of that great $19.95 investment I think he would be proud.
Don’t be afraid to swap out, or in, ingredients that you like as you can hardly mess this up if the ingredients are fresh. This recipe can easily be stretched to feed 4 people, but I marked this for 3 so you would not be hungry in an hour. (insert Chinese-food joke here)
The secret to great wok cooking is to use very high heat so cooking with gas works best. You want your ingredients to cook quickly and caramelize rather than steam! Wok it up!
- 1lb. ground pork
- ½ large Napa Cabbage (medium chopped)
- 1 large carrot (cut into matchsticks)
- ½ large red onion
- 2 green onions (scallions)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 large garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 1.5 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- fresh ground salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
- In a large frying pan or wok on high heat add 1 tbsp. of toasted sesame oil, 1 medium diagonally sliced green onion, chopped garlic clove, grated ginger.
- Add ground pork and brown, mixing a few times until cooked through.
- Salt and pepper pork to taste
- Remove browned pork mixture from wok - set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp. of toasted sesame oil to wok on high heat.
- Add chopped red onion, carrots, napa cabbage
- Add soy sauce and rice wine vinegar and stir fry until cooked - about 6 minutes
- Move veggies over to one half of the wok - scramble 2 eggs on the other side.
- Add pork back to the wok and stir fry another 2 minutes mixing all ingredients.
- fresh ground salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in bowls topped with diagonally sliced raw green onion and toasted sesame seeds.
You can add other veggies such as bean sprouts, mushrooms, and peppers
Try not to steam but rather caramelize the veggies on high heat.